Saturday, December 24, 2005

"the ultimate question"

to drive home the point of how pathetic my life has just gotten, here i am again, reduced to quoting movie lines and pasing them off as blog entries. ah well. such is life.

i finally got to watch the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy yesterday, and it pretty much blew me away. i was laughing all the time (even as i was slowly being overwhelmed by a sense of wonder and amazement in typical quasi-philosophical/existentialist hollywood magic mode). if you haven't watched it, i pity you. earth could be demolished tomorrow for all you know, and you're still blissfully ignorant. no wonder the dolphins think we suck. better hurry up and watch it. theere's bound to be copy at your friendly neighborhood pirated dvd retailer. don't leave thios plane of existence without watching it. o.O

H2G2 pretty much earned its way into my list of all-time favorite movies (right up there with fight club, punch-drunk love, and casablanca, inter alia), but it's this little bit of dialogue that just makes me want to give douglas adams a posthumous oscar award for giving everyone (loveless sci-fi geeks and stuck-up movie critics alike) THE question.

so what's the ultimate question, about life, the universe, and everythiing? the movie starts out with the premise that the answer is '42.' it's the question that has the hapless heroes scrambling form one end of the universe to another. and when the villains threaten to forciby extract arthur dent's (typical everyman hero figure) brain in order to arrive athe ultimate question, he comes up with this gem of a monologue:

"just wait a sodding minute! you want a question that goes with the answer 42? well, what about what's 6 x 7? or... um, uh... how many vogons does it take to change a light bulb?! here's one: how many roads must a man walk down..?

fine, fine... take it. 'cause my hand is filed with questions and i can assure you that no answer to any one of them has ever brought me one iota of happiness...

except for one. THE one. teh only question i've ever wanted an answer to:

is she the one?

the answer bloody well isn't 42, it's yes... undoubtedly, unequivocally, unabashedly, yes...

and for one week, on week in my sad little... blip of an existence... it made me happy..."

cheesy? yeah. but it'll get to you more if you actually watch the movie. some people might think of it as a major letdown. you start with a premise that promises to answer the 'ultimate question' only to finmd out that it's a love story. but it's actually more than that. ah, i dunno. this ain't a film review column. i just really, realy, really, liked the movie. probably becasue a large part of me does think that THAT question is the ultimate question.

...just goes to show how pathetic life gets on christmas vacation...

**********************

"I didn't do anything. I'm a nice man, I mind my own business.
So you tell me "that's that"before I beat the hell from you.
I have so much strength in me you have no idea.
I have a love in my life, it makes me stronger than anything you can imagine."

~Adam Sandler, Punch-drunk Love

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home